Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Update on Mom




Geez Louise.....what a contraption she is wagging around!

As I'm sure you are aware of by now...getting a new heart is some more of a roller coaster. But God is supplying her every need and has answered so many of our prayers. She is very thankful that she is not having to get the pump, so carrying around a 10 lb(an exaggeration) bag of IV and it's battery, is not too much of a hassle compared to having open heart surgery to get the pump. For that she is grateful! And the bonus...SHE GETS TO STAY AT HOME! I was thinking it was going to be a port, like cancer patients have, but it's not. It's a pic line...I hope that is how you say it....in other words...she has a permanent IV. It is inserted just below the right elbow, and the line from it is fed through the vein to the heart. This is supposed to "boost" her up! They have moved her from the bottom of the transplant list to the top. So this IV will be worn until she gets the heart.

When she gets the call....she will arrive to a "holding room" as they call it...and her and several other heart transplant patients will be waiting for the team to come out and tell them which one of them are getting it. Wow.....how emotional can that be? Excited for yourself...but sorry for the others that didn't get it.

Home Health is coming to her house today to help her with the IV, and teach them how to change the bag, battery, etc. They will come once a week to keep a check on it.

Too much info I know, but this is also like a diary of sorts...so we can remember just how it all happened! You know us....remembering things is not our speciality:)

Thanks for your continued support and prayers! You are the best!!

Love to all,

Carrie

6 comments:

Denise said...

You, and your precious mom have my prayers dear one.

K. Tilley said...

I like what'cha did with the blog....new look.....looks great.

Maybe the "pic line" won't be so bad and she will figure out how to get around with it just fine. You know her.....she ain't gonna let a little piece of machinery get the best of her.......

Cheryl said...

I love your page! Welcome to Thankful Thursday! If you need the button please go to my page and click on the "thankful thursday" button it will take you to get the code, copy it and bring it back to your page to paste. Glad to hear your Mom is on her way! That is progress my friend! I hope and pray things will go well for her and all of you. God Bless~

Shari Ellen said...

Glad to hear that God is taking care of your Mom.

Melanie said...

Hello -- it's nice to meet you! I found you through your Thankful Thursday post and I'm so glad that I did. I will keep your Mom in my prayers.

eph2810 said...

Wow - I didn't know that you have to go to a "holding room" to get the information if you getting transplant or not. Oh - that can be so emotional.

Thank you for sharing your grateful heart with us this past week - I pray that all will go well with the transplant soon.

Blessings to you and your precious family.