Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Pi or Pie

The 16th letter of the Greek alphabet. It is used as a symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, which is 3.141592653, commonly rounded to 3.14 .....Ya didn't know you were getting a math lesson today did ya? Well, you ain't! Cause I do not like math, but there is a relation between the two....at least for today. Funny thing is, I work in Accounting at my job:) Good thing I don't have to work with algebraic equations, rational coefficients, natural logarithms, circumference of a circle, logarithms of imaginary numbers, periodic functions and polygons! Whew! I'll stick with + or - ....... with a pinch of %, fractions, division and budgets:)

Hence the reason for this post, being that it is 3-14! Son #1 mentioned to me LAST NIGHT that he needed for me to make a KT's (my Mom) Pecan Pie for his math class on Friday, March 14th. He told me the spill about what pi is in mathematics. Okay son.....I did know this once upon a time:) But go ahead and refresh my mind:) I thought that was a neat thing for the teacher to do....as a way of celebrating pi day! This is one SCHOOL PROJECT that I can do:) BTW...Wednesday was D-Day for the presentation of the pot-putt boat! All I can say is...when I get my composer together enough to explain the rest of the story....I WILL:) lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay back to this pi thing. As I was reading up, excuse me refreshing my mind, on it....the description stated that from the earliest history of pi, nothing has changed, except now with computers, they can calculate in 8 hours, what man would have worked 8 hours a day for 30,000 years to accomplish. Wow! Also, it has now been calculated to more than 200,000,000,000 digits, although, the exact value of pi cannot be computed. And....no other number has been pondered or examined as much. Aren't you glad you know that! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That made me think of how great God is......like pi......we cannot fathom how BIG HE IS, and also like pi......he has not changed! No matter how many hours we put into a day of trying to thank him for his love........our pens would run out of ink and our tongues could never tell of all His blessings! I started to break out into the song, "The Love of God", but I'm pressed for time. Go to the good ole Red Church Hymnal or to http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/loveofgo.htm and listen to it. The 3rd stanza was found penciled on the wall of a patients' room in an insane asylum after he had been carried to his grave. The general opinion was that this inmate had written the epic in moments of sanity. Goose bumps!! "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" Romans 8:35


Thanks macromoments for sharing the cyberhymnal website!

So, today on 3-14, let's celebrate pi.....but most of all....God for allowing us to have scholars to even imagine a number this great! And for the wonderful PIES that we get to eat:) Now, that's what I'm talking about!!

Hope you have a great weekend!


Carrie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew we were kindred spirits. I hate any math that does not have to do with real numbers and and money. I have worked in accounting, bookkeeping for over 20 years and love it, but freak when people put letters with their numbers!!

K. Tilley said...

Not to sure about the first "pi" This online math class is about the kill me......but the second "pie", especially your, is to die for....

Cheryl said...

You lost me way back starting at "pi"! I will be like you and just stick to the + and - and maybe some %. I remember one year I studied with R and A the same week for history and I could tell you every president, years served, birth and every thing, even their Mom's names, almost. I told Kenny I thought I was the smartest Mom EVER!! Well after I fell asleep, the next day I could not remember anything! So needless to say I did not get the "Smartest Mom of the year" award. I love the words you use on your blog. Love my visit here. Thanks girlfriend! Love You!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I feel really stupid. I'm just going to comment on the new background color...I love it!
WendyL