Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Making a lasting difference
"I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things." 2 Peter 1:15 NIV
I don't know about you, but sometimes I just wonder if I'm making a difference. A devotion I read this morning caught my attention and I would like to share parts of it with you.
Author and Pastor J.R. Miller wrote, " The only thing that walks back from the grave with the mourners and refuses to be buried, is the character of a man."
Raising children is a hard job. No one can argue that fact. And what is the most important things we want for our children?
1. Salvation
2. Character
Yes, these should go hand in hand, but the old sinful nature creeps upon us from time to time and the character part gets flawed. Character can be built, but only slowly. Wow....that makes me stop and look around at myself. Because without character, our every intention, whether great or small, will be worthless. Character provides the opportunity for longevity in any career, any relationship, and any worthwhile goal.
With that said, I pray daily that my children will be saved and have a good character. I also pray that I will make a difference in their lives and lives of others, to show that Christ lives in me and that He is the only way!
Applying this to our life now:
With the kids in ball and their seasons turning out to be not what they expected......with winning for one and wanting to play more for the other...are perfect examples of what kind of character we choose to wear. Are we going to keep on keeping on or are we going to give up? These are life lessons they will carry with them eventually to their workplace and home. When the going gets tough....
Blessings to all,
Carrie

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Salvation and Character! I know where you are coming from girl! Oh how I hope my children have these also. Great Post! Love You!