Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Back from a few days of nothing!




Absolutely loved it! Our 4th involved these chairs for the most part. We did get to see a fabulous show on Thursday night and enjoyed some good food with family on Saturday and Sunday. MIL made some great kabobs and I made a stab at some home made peach ice cream/soup:) Slight problem on the freezing end. However it tasted good. And lots more grilled veggies and peach cobbler on Sunday. Couldn't ask for anything better!




I'm new to this whole grilling/baking veggies. Baking/grilling meats I've been doing, but veggies? I've always thought if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And how can fried squash/okra, etc. get any better? Grilling/baking, that's how! KT introduced me to the carrot/sweet potato..aka KT's Jaunders. I just added squash, zucchini, red potatoes, onions, red, orange, yellow pepper, and a new kind of squash. Mom and I were in Wally World making our way around the produce aisle and there was this huge bin of *coyote squash. Being the shy women we are, we asked a guy that was working in that department, "what was this thing that cost $1.25/piece?". He opened his pocket knife and cut it open. Seeing I didn't know where this knife had been, I refuse to try. Not Mom..... she ate it......living on the edge:) She loved it! It's a mixture of squash and some sweet fruit. A good twist to throw in the mix. Add you some olive oil, sea salt and peppercorn on all the veggies and bake/grill until tender. OH MY GOSH!!!




Another first for me. I'm 36 years old and I canned my first green beans last night. Mom has always canned beans. She just didn't want us around while doing it.......possible explosion:) What I thought was some big hairy deal, in fact is not. My only fear now is Hubby is going to want to make a garden next year....gulp!




*not sure of the name....sounded like coyote:) lol!!! I tried to google it...to no avail. Next time I'm at Wally World I'll get some more of them and let you know the correct name.

Have a blessed day!

Carrie

1 comment:

Deedra said...

I love the grilled veggies too! Who would've ever thought?? Grilled squash in the SOUTH??? lol
Don't feel bad about just starting to can, I never have either. I love canned green beans, just have never been a part of the process....yet!!