Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

So true.....

Eugene Petersen writes: "Every day I put love on the line. There's nothing I am less good at. I am far better in competition than love; far better at responding to my instincts to get ahead, than at figuring out how to love another. I'm schooled and trained in getting my own way. And yet I decide every day to set aside what I do best, and attempt to do what I do very clumsily-open myself to the frustrations and failures of loving, daring to believe that failing in love is better than succeeding in pride."

Deep isn't it. I had to re-read it a couple of times. My favorite is the last part...."failing in love is better than succeeding in pride."

When I read this I thought of the game we lost last night. What does this have to do with a ball game?..not really sure..it just reminded me that competition is just that. I love a good game of baseball.....don't get me wrong. It's just competition tends to bring out the worst in me. Mr. Petersen just reminded me that I would rather lose a ball game playing fair and square, with sportsmanship in tow, than win the state championship. Not that the other team cheated last night, however, I felt we were ripped on a call or two;), maybe the other team were using illegal bats:), sorry for the rant there...but I'm proud of our team for holding their heads high and giving it their best.

Oh what lessons we learn from the agony of defeat!

Really, being watchful of our words and honoring Jesus in all we do, even in defeat, we will be over comers!

Carrie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and so very very true!

Anonymous said...

Hey that was me up above and not Hayden....sorry

Kerri

Leigh Anne said...

I believe ballgames are a Christians biggest test in life. LOL The lost are always watching Christians and what we do and say at a ballgame is always noticed. I've had to repent many times over my mouth at at ballgame.

Sue said...

Amazing the things God uses to teach us huh? Sorry your team lost but glad you brought honor and glory to Jesus in your attitude and sportsmanship!