Small Town Living

The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ice Cycle Pickles

Ingredients:

Cucumbers
Salt
Cold Water
Alum
Vinegar
Sugar
McCormick Pickling Spice

Directions:

Cut up cucumbers and place in a gallon size jar. Cover cucumbers with cold water. Add 1 cup salt and let set for 4 days. On the 4th day rinse, add 2 Tbsp. alum and cover in cold water for 24 hrs. Rinse and add vinegar (no water) and let stand for 10 days. Drain (do not rinse). Put pickling spice in a coffee filter or cotton cloth and tie with a string. Place pickling spice in jar and then add 3 cups of sugar each day for 3 days.

They do not have to be refrigerated. However, I like mine cold and keep a quart jar of them in my refrigerator at all times.

I love, love these pickles. I use them in tuna/chicken salads, on hamburgers, or just eat them with meals. Charlotte, my MIL, taught me how to make these. Thank you Charlotte! They are super easy to make!

Oh...the wax paper hats on the jars is not necessary....but my lids are getting old and I didn't want rusty stuff in my pickles;-)....plus it serves as a handy dandy label to keep me on track of the day I need to rinse/drain them.

Enjoy!

Carrie

PS...Mom is still in hospital. Today is the day for the new pic line. She will be coming home tomorrow, Lord willing. Say a prayer for her today. She is dreading this procedure, but looking forward to it all at the same time.

1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

Carrie - I will definitely pray for your sweet mother!

Love the pickle recipe - my grandmother used to make the best bread and butter pickles.